news reader cannot see articles

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Sat Jan 27 01:54:29 EST 2007

Howard Yuen <howard.yuen at tumbleweed.com> writes:

> No luck.  It looks like after rmgroup, rmdir, then newgroup.  The
> newsgroup did get created, and interestingly the overview exists but the
> news client is still showing blank...

> # /usr/local/news/bin/tdx-util -g -n weed.pso.paypal
> 1 0 216 1169880214 0 @0501000000EE000000010000000000000000@
> #

The news reader may have remembered the previous high water mark.  You may
have to forcibly reset the group list in the reader.  Try, first of all,
telnet <server> nntp and then:

    group weed.pso.paypal
    xover 1-
    article 1

and see if you can see the overview and read the article.  If so, the
group is working, and we can isolate the problem to the memory of the news
reader.