news reader cannot see articles

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Mon Jan 29 01:22:35 EST 2007

Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com> writes:
> Russ Allbery wrote:

>> Only if INN is persistently generating bad storage API tokens for that
>> one group for some reason.  I don't know why it would be, but it would
>> explain the behavior that you're seeing.

> How about an error in storage.conf? If the names of the new groups don't
> match any storage group do they drop on the floor? I don't have time to
> investigate that, I would hope for log messages, but I haven't made that
> mistake, I mean tested that code path, myself.

That produces a fatal error from innd that will throttle the server.  In
this case, we're getting a storage API token which is being put into
overview.

>> I suppose one could verify by running sm on the storage API token from
>> the overview and see if it can retrieve the article.

> How about visual inspection of the history file entries?

Retrieving the storage API token for an article in this group by using
tdx-util -o and then giving that token to sm to see if the article exists
is the next debugging step, I think.  Note that if I'm right and all
these storage API tokens are invalid, nightly expire will nuke all the
overview entries for this group each night, so you have to post a new test
article each day.

Seeing a copy of the storage.conf might be useful too.

Storing the articles in trash would also exhibit this behavior, I think.