Support of files/raw partitions > 4Gb

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Wed Feb 14 11:32:29 EST 2007

Kirill Berezin wrote:
>> As a matter of good practice, all offsets should be type off_t, since
>> they may not match any other type in size.
>>

> This is a really good style, but in this case one should carefully
> convert small types,  because the use of small types is essential to
> save the storage space.

In general "small" or "large" are irrelevant, "correct" is. Using
appropriate sizes avoids issues such as not supporting more than 4GB
files. Given that many compilers use full size integers in structs by
default, I'm not sure how much space small size typically save, and
converting to and from small sizes like char and short to the CPU native
integer size certainly uses some cycles. I have no argument with using
the smallest size which will legitimately hold the full range of values,
but I doubt it make a measurable saving relative to the disk and memory
requirements of a typical news server.

I'm not saying your point is wrong, clearly no value should be larger
than is needed, but I doubt that there's a big saving to had by doing
that. I admit I believe in having programs pedantically correct, not
everyone may agree.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>
  CTO TMR Associates, Inc