Using block device as cnfs buffer under FreeBSD.

newsmaster at alkar.net newsmaster at alkar.net
Tue Mar 6 09:16:09 EST 2007

Hello,

FreeBSD 6.2, inn-2.4.3, compiled with large files support.

Can I use block device (drive) directly as cnfs buffer? As far as I see, no.

In errlog:

innd: SERVER cant initalize storage manager: one or more storage methods failed initialization

And that's it. How can I see more debug information to be sure that problem is in FreeBSD? It works with files, but does not with block devices (ad3, ad3s1 were tried, chown news:news was also made on them). FreeBSD supports mmap(), but I don't know about block devices.

Is there any disadvantage using one (or several) big file instead of direct drive device?

Thank you for answers.