High loads...

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Wed Mar 14 10:42:42 EST 2007

Bjorn Hellqvist <bjhell at telia.net> writes:

> I have a real problems with load...

> last pid:  3764;  load averages: 95.78, 29.30, 11.191
> up 0+00:35:00  16:08:58
> 284 processes: 36 running, 247 sleeping, 1 lock
> CPU states:  0.7% user,  2.8% nice, 92.0% system,  1.7% interrupt,  2.8%
> idle
> Mem: 127M Active, 1578M Inact, 174M Wired, 53M Cache, 101M Buf, 70M Free
> Swap: 4096M Total, 4096M Free

> This is all done from one client that abuses the system. (ie: me). This is
> still a testsetup, so I am the only one that uses this system.

> What I do is "catching up" in a more abusive way. In old and trusted
> netscape messanger I go into a heavy poplulated group and hold down 'T' to
> mark threads read. After awhile the loads gets real high.

> Is it something I have missed?

I'm definitely missing something since no matter what you're making your
single client do, it shouldn't be talking to more than a handful of nnrpd
processes at most.  Which doesn't explain what 95 processes are all in the
run queue on your system.  INN doesn't usually spawn that many processes
due to its architecture unless you have a bunch of readers, which you say
that you don't.

What does top say is trying to run?