[radvd-devel-l] radvd to check whether forwarding is enabled

Pekka Savola radvd-devel-l@litech.org
Sun, 23 Dec 2001 10:26:03 +0200 (EET)

On Sun, 23 Dec 2001, Nathan Lutchansky wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Dec 2001, Pekka Savola wrote:
>
> > Triggered by a code snippet by Marko, I took the time to add a feature
> > which checks whether forwarding has been enabled before starting radvd.
>
> While I don't object to the patch, I'm curious as to why it would be
> necessary...  Is this just to provide help to new users?  There's no
> technical reason that radvd should depend on the forwarding setting in
> order to function.  -Nathan

Yes, it's of advisory value only, as you said.  There isn't a point in
running radvd unless you have enabled forwarding.  This just warns of a
possible configuration problem that might not be obvious at first sight.
(for the record rtadvd of KAME for BSD does the same thing).