[radvd-devel-l] Receiving Router Advertisements

Pekka Savola radvd-devel-l@litech.org
Sat, 25 May 2002 11:19:17 +0300 (EEST)

On Mon, 20 May 2002 Sourajeet.Mohanty@lntinfotech.com wrote:
> I have some Queries regarding Router Advertisements:
>
> 1. Suppose in a particular network there are few machines with radvd
> running on them, is it possible that they can advertise same prefixes ? Or
> they should advertise the same prefixes ?Or they should advertise the
> different prefixes ?

Advertising the same prefix has not been tested, but it should work.

If the parameters advertised are not the same, radvd may print out
excessive amount of warnings though, see process.c:process_ra().

> 2. Is one machine with radvd running will receive his own advertisements ?

No.  When forwarding is enabled in the kernel, these are thrown away.