[radvd-devel-l] Router advertisement and forwarding on client side?

Pekka Savola pekkas at netcore.fi
Mon Mar 19 11:43:21 EST 2007

On Mon, 19 Mar 2007, vincent.trucmuche wrote:
> I disagree with this ;)
> A limitation (preventing radvd to run on a non forwarding
> machine) has been introduced w/o any reason (AFAIK). I don't
> understand why I should prove this limitation is not useful. I
> would think that you (radvd team :) ) should argue why this
> limitation is needed. :)
> What is the problem if we remove this limitation?

The 'limitation' is there to aid the users.  Many have forgotten to
enable forwarding before running radvd, and created a setup that
hasn't worked.  User-friedliness :-)

>> would be useful?  In particular, what radvd would be advertising if
>> it should be used to forward packets?  (Note that 'being a default
>> router' is a subset of 'forwarding packets')
>
> Simplest case is:
> One want to have a "configuration server" (DHCP & RA),
> different from the router.

Please elaborate.  Would radvd be run on that configuration server?
What information would radvd provide?  Or where would radvd be used?

> I have a case to submit.
> How to configure the default gateway of a CPE? This CPE is a
> routeur between WAN and LAN. DHCPv6 is not able to configure
> gateway address and RA are discarded. How my CPE will learn
> its default gateway? This is typically a case where I would
> like my CPE learn its gateway address using RA. :)

This is a case what DHCPv6 prefix delegation was designed for, I
think.