[radvd-devel-l] Wildcard Interface Addresses

Norman Rasmussen norman at rasmussen.co.za
Mon Feb 11 07:56:38 EST 2008

btw: this is all set up manually for ppp3, which is a dynamic number, which
is the original feature request :-)

Hrm, I had enabled UnicastOnly, which disabled unsolicited advertisements.
If I disable UnicastOnly, then the RA's are sent and Vista configures the
extra IP's.  With 1.1 it complains that I should be using UnicastOnly
because the interface can't broadcast, but if I enable it, then the RA's are
not sent.

This says that Vista expects unsolicited RA's over it's ppp link:
http://blogs.technet.com/rrasblog/archive/2006/12/15/vista-how-pppv6-support-works.aspx

On Feb 11, 2008 2:08 PM, Pekka Savola <pekkas at netcore.fi> wrote:

> Are you sure?  Your client could be a laptop which has a PDA or mobile
> phone behind it, as well.

At the moment it's just me and my laptop, and I want to be able to access my
IPv6 network via my VPN connection.  Vista will send a DHCPv6 packet to get
a /64 prefix if-and-only-if ICS (connection sharing) is enabled.  I'm not
supporting that scenario yet.

> > pppd is setting up the fe80::prefi, but not my global prefix.  I did a
> quick
> > test, and even if I do announce the prefix down the ppp link, my vista
> > clients are not using it.  Any ideas?
>
> Which prefix did you try to advertise?   The RFCs and implementations
> require that you advertise a /64, otherwise it's ignored from the
> address configuration perspective.  If you advertised a /64, I don't
> know why Vista would have ignored it.  If you advertised something
> else, that's the reason.

I was advertising fe80::/64 and 2001:618:400:6f39::/64. radvd wasn't
transmitting the RA unless I disabled UnicastOnly, then the new 1.1 version
complains when I enabled it, and the interface doesn't support broadcast.  I
need a unsolicited unicast option :-)

It seems that what you intend to do is not compatible with IPv6
> addressing mechanisms.  My suggestion is that you advertise a
> different /64 on each link (for which you don't need the interface
> address feature) or you use a different mechanism for assigning
> addresses on the clients (for example, IKEv2 supports IPv6 address
> configuration payloads) where you don't need to assign or advertise a
> global IPv6 prefix on the links in the first place.

Unfortunately I'm trying to interoperate with magic software produced by
Microsoft, so there's not much I can do.

--
- Norman Rasmussen
- Email: norman at rasmussen.co.za
- Home page: http://norman.rasmussen.co.za/