[radvd-devel-l] Radvd problem with non-root: config_interface() fails

Pekka Savola pekkas at netcore.fi
Mon Jan 21 03:36:52 EST 2008

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008, Jim Paris wrote:
> A similar idea to your "master/worker", but much easier to code, would
> be to create a setuid helper binary.  The helper would verify the
> invoking username against a compiled-in default, check the parameter
> ranges against some sane limits, and then make the changes.  Spawning
> this process wouldn't be the most efficient thing in the world, but
> it's infrequent.

That's indeed a bit easier, but also a bit tricky if anyone is using
the chroot version of radvd.

Would you be interested in working on this?

> This bug hit me today -- I was trying to figure out why Firefox was
> stalling on certain websites, and it turns out that it's a MTU/MSS
> issue with my 6to4 tunnel, and presumably routers along the way that
> filter PMTU discovery or something.  Radvd was supposed to be setting
> the MTU to 1480, but that never happened and most sites worked fine,
> so I didn't notice.

Thanks for your data point.  Given that this is rather important to
get working at least for the regular startup scenario, I moved
drop_privs later and config_interface earlier in the code.