[radvd-devel-l] Failed to set CurHopLimit (64) for eth0 message

Ian Brown ianbrn at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 07:23:05 EDT 2008

Hello,
  I have installed radvd on FC8 and prepared an /etc/radvd.conf.

	When I try /etc/init.d/radvd start I see the following message in
/var/log/messages:
 radvd[2614]: version 1.0 started
 radvd[2615]: failed to set CurHopLimit (64) for eth0

As far as I undesrtand, the reason for this is that the script starts the radvd
daemonn in fact not as root but as a user named radvd, thus:
radvd -u radvd
and so it cannot write the /proc filesystem.
when I try:
cat  /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/eth0/hop_limit
I get:
64

So it seems that my system is OK with this field.

The radvd.conf I am using is this:

interface eth0
{
        AdvSendAdvert on;
        prefix 2001:db8:0:1::/64
        {
                AdvOnLink on;
                AdvAutonomous on;
        };
};

SO my question is: is the radvd daemon running OK ?
should I just ignore this radvd message ? Or maybe it is better that I
will change
the /etc/init.d/radvd script so that it will run as root ?

Regards,
Ian