[radvd-devel-l] Running two radvd daemons on the

Mark Ryden markryde at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 03:29:59 EDT 2008

Hi,

I am new to radvd; I had installed radvd on a machine in a LAN and
configured and ran it successfully; the other hosts got the prefix from this
radvd and configured IP addresses according to it.
Regarding radvd daemon

According to:
http://fermiparadox.wordpress.com/2007/02/18/using-radvd/
"there should be only one node running it it the whole network."

I had tried to install a second radvd on this LAN and I had configured it
with a different prefix and activated it. The hosts on the LAN had configured
one more IPV6 address, with the prefix of the second radvd daemon

My question is:
- is there a way to prevent such scenario ?
Is it the responsibility of the radvd daemon to make sure that there
is no other
radvd daemons running on the same LAN ? or is there some intention to change the
ipv6 kernel so that in such a case only the first radvd ROUTER ADVERTISEMENT
message will be accepted ?

Regards,
MR