[radvd-devel-l] configure script

Pierre Ossman pierre-list at ossman.eu
Mon Dec 13 07:15:02 EST 2010

On Mon, 13 Dec 2010 13:44:02 +0200 (EET)
Pekka Savola <pekkas at netcore.fi> wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Dec 2010, Reuben Hawkins wrote:
> > Is there a reason why the configure script is not included in CVS?
> > Each time I download the code I must...
> >
> > $ autoreconf -vif
> >
> > ...before building.  This also adds a dependency on autotools which
> > isn't really needed to run a configure script.
>
> I haven't wanted to track it in CVS, and based on looking at some
> other packages (quite a few years ago), I thought it was typical to
> keep it out from CVS as it's generated for distribution.  I could be
> convinced otherwise if it's common practise to include it in CVS.

I'd vote against it. The general principle is that generated content
should never be checked in. Off the top of my head I can't name any
other project that has such things checked in.

There are even a few files in CVS right now that shouldn't be there
(e.g. config.*, depcomp, install-sh).

Rgds

--
     -- Pierre Ossman

  WARNING: This correspondence is being monitored by FRA, a
  Swedish intelligence agency. Make sure your server uses
  encryption for SMTP traffic and consider using PGP for
  end-to-end encryption.