[radvd-devel-l] Multiple IPv6 Routers

Pekka Savola pekkas at netcore.fi
Fri Nov 26 06:26:27 EST 2010

On Fri, 26 Nov 2010, Iain J. Watson wrote:
> Also, when I hard power-off one of the routers to simulate a failure I
> can no longer ping in either direction. If I run radvdump on either of
> the test servers I see nothing being received. If I then restart radvd
> on the remaining router I become able to ping again.

Some thoughts:

  1) please note that your client OS may not support high/low
preferences.
  2) the amount of time it takes to remove a dead default gw is
governed by AdvDefaultLifetime which you have not set.
  3) AdvReachableTime might help but than again it might not. RFC4861
also specifies how the client should delete non-working neighbors or
routers, but I have not tested this myself.

To get more accurate info on what is happening, you will need to look
at the routing and neighbor table (/sbin/ip -6 r l, n l) and tcpdump
-e (the MAC addresses used).

Your remainder point about having to restart radvd on the remaining
router is likely a combination of 1) and 2) but it could also be a bug
(and more radvd debug log could be useful).