[radvd-devel-l] Saving logs for radvd

Reuben Hawkins reubenhwk at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 10:08:46 EST 2011

On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 3:27 AM, Joan <aseques at gmail.com> wrote:

> Good morning,
>
> We have setup a radvd server in our network to deploy the ipv6 into
> our infrastructure. We would like to have a record of the distributed
> addresses similar to the one that is available with dhcpd.
>
> The output with dhcpd is something like this:
> Jan 31 12:18:45 server dhcpd: DHCPREQUEST for 192.168.1.201 from
> f8:1e:df:74:25:12 (name) via eth0
> Jan 31 12:18:45 server dhcpd: DHCPACK on 192.168.1.201 to
> f8:1e:df:74:25:12 (name) via eth0
> Jan 31 12:18:59 server dhcpd: DHCPREQUEST for 192.168.1.206 from
> 00:1e:a4:a4:2e:9e via eth0
> Jan 31 12:18:59 server dhcpd: DHCPACK on 192.168.1.206 to
> 00:1e:a4:a4:2e:9e via eth0
> Jan 31 12:20:12 server dhcpd: DHCPREQUEST for 192.168.1.205 from
> 7c:c5:37:bf:11:fd via eth0
> Jan 31 12:20:12 server dhcpd: DHCPACK on 192.168.1.205 to
> 7c:c5:37:bf:11:fd via eth0
>

> Is that possible with radvd? I've searched through the archives and I
> haven't been able to find anything.
>
> Thank you very much
>
> --

Hi Joan,

In short, no.  It's not possible with radvd.

Longer answer...  It's the hosts' responsibility to configure its own
addresses.  Radvd is only sending the hosts the network prefix.  Some hosts
will contact radvd through the all routers multicast address, but even so,
the source address of the solicitation may be empty.  Additionally, hosts
don't have to contact radvd at all.  A host can wait for a periodic
broadcast from radvd then autoconfigure from there without ever contacting
radvd.  Also, the host does not communicate back to radvd which addresses it
selected.  Generally the host portion of the IPv6 address (the lower 64
bits) are derived from the mac address, but this isn't required...

DHCPv6 may be able to do exactly what you want, but that would be for
another mailing list...

Thanks,
Reuben