[radvd-devel-l] IP_MULTICAST_LOOP

Reuben Hawkins reubenhwk at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 11:23:06 EDT 2011

On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 3:03 AM, Ulrich Weber <ulrich.weber at sophos.com> wrote:
> Please find attached patch, which disables Multicast packets to be send
> back to the local application (IPV6_MULTICAST_LOOP).
>
> Cheers
>  Ulrich
>
> On 07/11/2011 07:08 PM, Reuben Hawkins wrote:
>> On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 6:43 AM, Ulrich Weber <ulrich.weber at sophos.com> wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> is it by purpose that IP_MULTICAST_LOOP is not deactivated in radvd?
>>>
>>> With 1.8 my logs are filling up with "received RA from" messages from
>>> my own RA packets...
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>>  Ulrich
>>>
>>> --
>>> Ulrich Weber | uweber at astaro.com | Senior Software Engineer
>>> Astaro GmbH & Co. KG | www.astaro.com | Phone +49-721-25516-0 | Fax –200
>>> An der RaumFabrik 33a | 76227 Karlsruhe | Germany
>>>
>>> --
>>>

>> Hi Ulrich,
>>
>> Sounds like a good idea to add IP_MULTICAST_LOOP.  Would you be
>> willing to submit a patch?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Reuben
>>

> --
> Ulrich Weber | ulrich.weber at sophos.com | Senior Software Engineer
> Astaro - a Sophos company | Amalienbadstr 41 | 76227 Karlsruhe | Germany
> Phone +49-721-25516-0 | Fax –200 | www.astaro.com

Hi Ulrich,

I found that the patch breaks radvdump when running it on the same
computer as radvd.  I think that may be the reason for not using
IPV6_MULTICAST_LOOP in the first place.

A while back, I had code which compared the RA address with the
interface on which the RA was received... In case it was, it skipped
the checking of the RA.  Maybe we should add that code back so we
don't log/process our own RA messages.  I think IPV6_MULTICAST_LOOP
may not be the right choice.  If it is the right choice, and the patch
is just missing something, please update and resend.  But keep in mind
that radvdump will still need to work on the same computer radvd runs
on.

For now, I'm not going to apply your patch.  Nonetheless, thanks for sending it.

Thanks,
Reuben