[radvd-devel-l] Special prefix ::/64, Base6to4Interface, Base6Interface in radvd 1.9 forward

Reuben Hawkins reubenhwk at gmail.com
Thu May 5 13:13:29 EDT 2011

Hi All,

I don't like the Base6Interface or Base6to4Interface mechanisms in the
config file.  It's on my wish list to remove/deprecate these options and
replaces them with something like a "DiscoverPrefixes" option on the
interface.  The prefixes can be discovered from /proc/net/ipv6_route or from
netlink (on linux, but I'm sure there's similar info available on BSD, etc).

The prefix directive in the file, in my opinion, should be entirely static.
By Static, I mean if the prefix is whatever::/whatever, radvd advertises
whatever::/whatever.  Right now, as it is, there are at least three things
which make the prefix do weird stuff.....

1) Special prefix "::/64" is also supported on systems that implement
getifaddrs() (on other systems, configuration activation fails and radvd
exits). When configured, radvd picks all non-link-local prefix assigned to
the interface and starts advertising it.
2) Base6to4Interface, which I think requires 0::/64
3) Base6Interface which requires something other than 0 in 0::/64

If anyone has other opinions, objects or requirements let us know.

Thanks in advance,
Reuben