[radvd-devel-l] Wrongly picks and advertises /80 IPs

Reuben Hawkins reubenhwk at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 01:38:45 EST 2013

Hi Roman,

So it seems to me that RADVD is doing the correct thing, just not what you
expect...

You have this for your network interface...

          inet6 addr: 2a02:2698:xxxx:xxxx:fff2::39/80 Scope:Global
          inet6 addr: fd39:0:2::39/64 Scope:Global
          inet6 addr: fe80::260:6eff:fe20:2599/64 Scope:Link

and these are the prefixes being advertised...

        prefix 2a02:2698:xxxx:xxxx:fff2::/80
        prefix fd39:0:2::/64

The documentation for the prefix you specify in the config file, ::/64,
specifies that all prefixes which are non-link-local will be advertised.
 In this case, RADVD is advertising your two non-link-local prefixes
correctly.

I decided a long time ago that these auto-selecting prefixes are bad and
should be removed. I plan to remove the special ::/64, Base6Interface and
Base6to4Interface.  A much better place to automatically gather prefixes to
advertise is /proc/net/ipv6_route.  When I finally get to radvd-2.0, a
prefix will be advertised exactly as written in the config file and maybe
the config file will be derived from /proc/net/ipv6_route or maybe I'll add
a new option like so...

interface eth0 {
    prefix automagic;
};