[radvd-devel-l] Wrongly picks and advertises /80 IPs

Reuben Hawkins reubenhwk at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 02:44:06 EST 2013

On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 11:01 PM, Roman Mamedov <rm at romanrm.ru> wrote:

> On Wed, 6 Mar 2013 12:56:06 +0600
> Roman Mamedov <rm at romanrm.ru> wrote:
>
> > I would expect it to only pick prefixes from IPs that are configured as
> on
> > the interface /64
>
> Over-editing fail, let me try that again:
>
> I would expect it to only pick prefixes from IPs that are configured on
> the interface as /64.

I would expect that too, but that isn't what the docs say.  That's part of
the reason I think the special prefixes are very confusing and should be
removed and replaced with something that does what you would expect.

interface eth0 {
   prefix automagic;
}

would put radvd in a mode which will check the routing table, then listen
for changes to it on a netlink socket, and advertise
the appropriate prefixes.  Since ipv6 routing only requires link local
addresses to work, getting the prefixes for the non-link-local addresses
directly from the interface doesn't seem right.