[radvd-devel-l] radvd not acting on recieved RA's

Pekka Savola radvd-devel-l@litech.org
Sun, 18 Nov 2001 21:22:03 +0200 (EET)

On Sun, 18 Nov 2001, Iain Young wrote:
> I seem to have a problem with radvd not acting on Router Advertisments
> received from a Cisco 2620.
>
> I know the RA's are being sent, and received, as I can see them with
> radvdump.
>
> I am running linux-2.4.15-pre5 (linus), and radvd 0.6.2pl4, with ip,
> from ip route2 reporting iproute2-ss001007
>
> Everything _seems_ fine, but no addresses ever get added to the
> ethernet interface.

Are you sure you've understood the function of radvd correctly?  You don't
need it on nodes where you want to autoconfigure addresses.

If/as you've enabled forwarding on your Linux box, router advertisements
from Cisco will automatically be ignored.  This is a feature.

If you set like:

net.ipv6.conf.eth0.forwarding = 0
net.ipv6.conf.eth0.autoconf = 1
net.ipv6.conf.eth0.accept_ra = 1

You should be able to autoconfigure that interface .. but that makes
little sense for a router.

HTH.