[radvd-devel-l] Advertising interface is not "autoconfigured"

Pekka Savola radvd-devel-l@litech.org
Tue, 22 Jan 2002 07:36:24 +0200 (EET)

On Mon, 21 Jan 2002, Venkata Jagana wrote:

I'm not sure why one would want to autoconfigure eth0 in this case?

> Before you run radvd on your 'R' box, turn off or disable the forwarding
> temporarily through
>
>    echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/<all or ethX>/forwarding
>
> Run radvd and then enable forwarding through
>
>    echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/<all or ethX>/forwarding
>
> This is one way of enabling autoconfiguration for router interfaces.

Changes in radvd 0.7.1 probably kill this approach (if "all") is used --
radvd will not start unless "all" forwarding is enabled.

Having conf/eth0/forwarding=0 is effectively a DoS for the clients for the
period it's 0, but in simple scenarios this may not be a problem.