[radvd-devel-l] Advertising interface is not "autoconfigured"

Nathan Lutchansky radvd-devel-l@litech.org
Thu, 24 Jan 2002 18:09:16 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 24 Jan 2002, Pekka Savola wrote:

> Note that I'm not saying an absolute no on 'radvd' capability to add
> PREFIX::EUI64 address on the interface when the interface is active.  But
> I don't like the idea of receiving the "local" advertisements on the
> interface.
>
> What do others think, would this be useful?  [if yes, patches?]

I don't think radvd should be configuring anything in the router's IP
stack.  That's not the job of radvd, it is the job of the networking
configuration scripts.  If you want everything to be configured
automatically from a monolithic package, run Zebra.

Perhaps a better solution would be a separate tool that reads the
radvd.conf file and configures the local interfaces as if they were doing
autoconfiguration.  But again, what's wrong with the existing scripts?
-Nathan

--
| Nathan Lutchansky | lutchann@litech.org |  Lithium Technologies  |