[radvd-devel-l] Advertising interface is not "autoconfigured"

Venkata Jagana radvd-devel-l@litech.org
Mon, 28 Jan 2002 14:41:20 -0800

Sorry, I have been travelling and so, couldn't respond.

> radvd should accept them (print inconsistancies with advertisements etc.)

> but definitely not autoconfigure from them.

> Whole RA processing could be removed, but it might help in debugging
> situations.

This sounds good to me.

Thanks,
Venkat

Pekka Savola <pekkas@netcore.fi>@litech.org on 01/24/2002 01:05:48 PM

Please respond to radvd-devel-l@litech.org

Sent by:    radvd-devel-l-admin@litech.org

To:    radvd-devel-l@litech.org
cc:
Subject:    Re: [radvd-devel-l] Advertising interface is not
       "autoconfigured"

On Thu, 24 Jan 2002, Venkata Jagana wrote:
> According to RFC 2462, the autoconfiguration process specified
> in this doc is applied to hosts but not routers and however,
> there is nothing that says router interfaces can't be autoconfigured.

How is a router defined?  IMO, in RFC 2462 context, a node is a router in
interface X if it is advertising, or capable of advertising, on interface
X.

> If they should't be autoconfigured then in manual configuration, what
> prefixes would be used to configure those interfaces. Wouldn't they
> be same as the prefixes advertised by radvd on the respective interfaces?

One could always use PREFIX::1 and the like.

Note that I'm not saying an absolute no on 'radvd' capability to add
PREFIX::EUI64 address on the interface when the interface is active.  But
I don't like the idea of receiving the "local" advertisements on the
interface.

What do others think, would this be useful?  [if yes, patches?]

> In fact, I believe (based on old email on this topic on netdev) the
> KAME stack doesn't seem to even accept or autoconfigure addresses for
> router interfaces based on RA's received from other routers.

KAME -- accept yes, autoconfigure, no.  This should be how these are
handled; even accepting could be removed, though.