[radvd-devel-l] Default Route Using RADVD

nileshkumar daine nilesh_daine at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 26 01:39:11 EDT 2006

Hi Team,

  Need an expert help for begineer like me who is
trying to use radvd.

  I want to setup my machine ( with NICs ) as router
gateway. I have eth0 connected to internet and eth1 to
intranet. I want my intranet (LAN) machines to access
internet ( let us assume for now that my LAN machine
want to ping6 to just WAN IP6 address ).

First of all, is the radvd correct choice to achive
what I want as above ? If NO, what is this the right
place to ask what should I use to allow my LAN
machines to access WAN ?

If radvd is correct choice, then reading throug MAN
pages and some sample radvd.conf file I tried
following,

1. I enabled forwarding as
   echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/all/forwarding

2. Had radvd.conf file as follows,
   interface eth1
{
               AdvSendAdvert on;
               prefix 2001:7a8:6d7a:c::/64
               {
                       AdvOnLink on;
                       AdvAutonomous on;
               };
};

3. On LAN machine ( connected to eth1 ) got following
    $ifconfig
     inet6 addr :
2001:7a8:6d7a:c:20a:e4ff:fef1:80c5/64

   And route -A inet6 -n showed following route ( in
addition to some original route table entries )

    ::/0  fe80::200:e8ff:fe70:7a2a  UGDA 1024 0 0 eth0

    Which tells default link route has been added with
Next HOP has link ipaddress of eth1 ( of my router )

Now,
If I try to ping link ip address of WAN interface of
my route from LAN machine, ping6 doesn't work ? why ?
( ofcource with -I option to ping6 for link ip).

- What should I do to allow my LAN machines to ping
WAN ip address ( global or link ) ? for that how can
add default route (using radvd) on LAN machine with
next hop as router LAN ip address (global/site)

- I have give a try to specify 'route' prefix and
respective definitions also but no use. I didn't get
what radvd tries to do that option.

- Also tried AdvRouterAddr on option but which doesn't
seem to be correct to use or I might have mis
understood usage of that.

- Well my routers LAN machines can access WAN if I add
route on LAN machine using next hop as my LAN
ipaddress. But I want thing to happen autocofigured.

Any help/criticism would be acceptable and helpful.

Thanks,
Nilesh