[radvd-devel-l] Radvd problem with non-root: config_interface() fails

Pekka Savola pekkas at netcore.fi
Thu Oct 25 01:44:10 EDT 2007

Hi,

I noticed a Debian PR [1] that radvd 1.0 prints an error from
config_interface() if non-root user is used.

For example:
Jul  4 06:37:12 orion radvd[2829]: failed to set CurHopLimit (64) for eth0

This stems from the fact that config_interface() wants to modify /proc
entries which are not writable except by root.

Unfortunately I don't see an easy eay to fix this.  We could drop root
privileges later (which in turn would require shuffling code around
quite a bit), but if config changed, new configuration couldn't get
activated after SIGHUP.  A more comprehensive solution would be
splitting the radvd process to a root-running "master process" and
nonroot "worker process" (like e.g. openssh does) and a signalling
channel between them but that would require lots of code.

Are there other options how to proceed?

What I'm going to do for now is add a strerror(errno) to
set_interface_var() function and document this problem in code and in
TODO.

[1]