[radvd-devel-l] Wildcard Interface Addresses

Norman Rasmussen norman at rasmussen.co.za
Mon Feb 11 10:03:49 EST 2008

On Feb 11, 2008 4:49 PM, Pekka Savola <pekkas at netcore.fi> wrote:

> (Regarding the comment on unicastOnly and timeouts, you may want to
> run tcpdump and capture icmp6 traffic to make sure the right kind of
> periodic RA traffic is being exchanged over the link.)

will do

> The thing that I didn't understand and I don't think you explained is
> how different clients, if they connect simultanously, are going to
> work if you advertise every one of them the same prefix?

in the ipv6-up script I:
   ip route add $PREFIX${PPP_REMOTE#fe80:} dev ${PPP_IFACE}
(which strips the link local address, and prepends it with my global prefix)

so that data meant for that machine goes down the correct ppp interface.

> I think you'll end up in a configuration where every client must have
> its own prefix making the feature request unnecessary; the advertised
> prefix could be dynamic (relatively easy if the ppp interfaced are
> created in sequential order) or static (probably more difficult unless
> pppd allows creating differently named interfaces for each of your
> users and/or have scripting that rewrites the radvd configuration
> based on AAA database information about prefixes).

at the moment I only have a /64, so I can't carve up my allocated space even
if I wanted to :-(

I could just create a script to list all the interfaces that could ever be
used, and it'll pick up the ones that are active.

--
- Norman Rasmussen
- Email: norman at rasmussen.co.za
- Home page: http://norman.rasmussen.co.za/