[radvd-devel-l] Wildcard Interface Addresses

Pekka Savola pekkas at netcore.fi
Mon Feb 11 10:12:49 EST 2008

On Mon, 11 Feb 2008, Norman Rasmussen wrote:
> in the ipv6-up script I:
>   ip route add $PREFIX${PPP_REMOTE#fe80:} dev ${PPP_IFACE}
> (which strips the link local address, and prepends it with my global prefix)
>
> so that data meant for that machine goes down the correct ppp interface.

So, in essence you're adding a host route towards the address.

This has two problems.  First, as Vista uses privacy addresses
(randomly generated v6 addresses from the advertised prefixes), those
don't work as you haven't set up host routes to them.  Second, two
clients get the same /64 so they can't talk if you don't do bridging
between different interfaces.

> at the moment I only have a /64, so I can't carve up my allocated space even
> if I wanted to :-(

You should get more and your problems get much easier. :-)

I'm not sure if configuring addresses with DHCPv6 (address assignment
part, not prefix delegation) would help in your case, even if very few
OSs support it out of the box.  I doubt it.