[radvd-devel-l] Wildcard Interface Addresses

Pekka Savola pekkas at netcore.fi
Tue Feb 12 05:37:41 EST 2008

On Tue, 12 Feb 2008, Norman Rasmussen wrote:
>> This has two problems.  First, as Vista uses privacy addresses
>> (randomly generated v6 addresses from the advertised prefixes), those
>> don't work as you haven't set up host routes to them.  Second, two
>> clients get the same /64 so they can't talk if you don't do bridging
>> between different interfaces.
>
> The random address is the same for the link-local/site-local/global
> addresses.  So I can happily strip the link-local prefix, and append the
> global prefix in the ipv6-up script.

No, it's different.  With "privacy address", I'm referring to RFC 3041
(and its successor).  Vista generates new global addresses
periodically, I think by default once a day.  I don't think you can
track those this way.

>> I'm not sure if configuring addresses with DHCPv6 (address assignment
>> part, not prefix delegation) would help in your case, even if very few
>> OSs support it out of the box.  I doubt it.
>>

> Vista will only use DHCPv6 to request a /64 if the VPN tunnel is being
> shared, which I don't need to do.

That's the "DHCPv6 prefix delegation" mode.  There is additionally
"DHCPv6 address assignment" solution (where you can give hosts /128
addresses) but I'm not sure if Vista supports it and in general that's
not a generally available solution.