[radvd-devel-l] Wildcard Interface Addresses

Norman Rasmussen norman at rasmussen.co.za
Tue Feb 12 04:50:29 EST 2008

On Feb 11, 2008 5:12 PM, Pekka Savola <pekkas at netcore.fi> wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Feb 2008, Norman Rasmussen wrote:
> > in the ipv6-up script I:
> >   ip route add $PREFIX${PPP_REMOTE#fe80:} dev ${PPP_IFACE}
> > (which strips the link local address, and prepends it with my global
> prefix)
> >
> > so that data meant for that machine goes down the correct ppp interface.
>
> So, in essence you're adding a host route towards the address.

yep

> This has two problems.  First, as Vista uses privacy addresses
> (randomly generated v6 addresses from the advertised prefixes), those
> don't work as you haven't set up host routes to them.  Second, two
> clients get the same /64 so they can't talk if you don't do bridging
> between different interfaces.

The random address is the same for the link-local/site-local/global
addresses.  So I can happily strip the link-local prefix, and append the
global prefix in the ipv6-up script.

I have a working setup (except for the random ppp interface naming).  Vista
set's up a default route via the vpn tunnel, and linux happily assigns a
/128 route to the ppp tunnel too.

I tried just putting in all the interface possibilities, and marking them
with IgnoreIfMissing, but if the interface exists, but doesn't support IPv6,
then it doesn't like that either. (I have two main vpn clients, one supports
IPv6 and the other doesn't)

> > at the moment I only have a /64, so I can't carve up my allocated space
> even
> > if I wanted to :-(
>
> You should get more and your problems get much easier. :-)
>
> I'm not sure if configuring addresses with DHCPv6 (address assignment
> part, not prefix delegation) would help in your case, even if very few
> OSs support it out of the box.  I doubt it.

Vista will only use DHCPv6 to request a /64 if the VPN tunnel is being
shared, which I don't need to do.

--
- Norman Rasmussen
- Email: norman at rasmussen.co.za