[radvd-devel-l] Building the radvd from source rpm for fc8

Martin Nagy mnagy at redhat.com
Thu Mar 20 07:02:30 EDT 2008

Hi Andy,
installing software on Fedora like this is not a good idea. I recommend
building your own rpm and install it via rpm -ivh, like this:
cp radvd-1.0-5.fc8.src.rpm /usr/src/redhat/SRPMS
cd /usr/src/redhat/SRPMS
rpmbuild --rebuild radvd-1.0-5.fc8.src.rpm

Then, you should have your rpm somewhere in /usr/src/redhat/RPMS .
The reason you have not saw init script and other files is that
installation of these files is done by rpm itself, not by the makefile.
When you use the method I described, the make install is done so that
all the files are stored in a chroot-ed environment, refered to as
$RPM_BUILD_ROOT in the spec file. Then, additional files are copied in
$RPM_BUILD_ROOT as seen in the %install section:
install -m 644 redhat/radvd.conf.empty
$RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_sysconfdir}/radvd.conf
install -m 755 redhat/radvd.init $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{initdir}/radvd
install -m 644 redhat/radvd.sysconfig
$RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_sysconfdir}/sysconfig/radvd

In some cases, we also delete some files that we don't want, but not in
case of radvd. Then there's the %files section that tells you which
files we actually want to install.
If you install packages the way you did, the rpm system will not know of
those files, because they weren't installed by it. So as far as rpm is
concerned, you actually don't have radvd installed on your system. I
suggest that you manually find all installed files and remove them and
then install radvd either by the method I wrote above or by official rpm.

Regards,
Martin