[radvd-devel-l] Cahnging Valid Lifetime/ Preferred Lifetime of a stateless configured address with radvd - is it possible ?

David Shwatrz dshwatrz at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 04:57:55 EDT 2008

Hello,
 I have one more question regarding radvd.conf.

I saw in many IPV6 presentations that renumbering IPv6 hosts is easy.

Just one example:
US IPv6 Global Summit,
http://72.34.43.90/IPV6/North_American_IPv6_Summit_2004/Tuesday/PDFs/Yanick_Pouffary.pdf

It says there:

–Add a new prefix to the router
–Reduce the lifetime of the old prefix
–As nodes deprecate the old prefix, they begin using the new prefix
for new connections
–No network downtime

I tried it with radvd , without success.

What I had is:

in radvd.conf, I had:

interface eth0
{
        AdvSendAdvert on;
				MaxRtrAdvInterval 30;
				prefix 2004:db8:0:1::/64
				{
        	                        AdvOnLink on;
                                        AdvAutonomous on;

					AdvValidLifetime 3000;
					AdvPreferredLifetime 2000;

				};

And when I started it, hosts were configured with 2004:db8:0:1:: prefix
and with valid time of 3000 seconds.

Now, I lowered the AdvValidLifetime to 180 seconds and
AdvPreferredLifetime to 100 added a second
prefix (with 3000 for AdvPreferredLifetime and 2000 to AdvPreferredLifetime
) and restarted the radvd service.
The hosts got the new prefix but the valid and preferred lifetime of the
formere ip address were as before.
Changing the AdvValidLifetime and AdvPreferredLifetime did not changed the
corresponfing fields.

To be more specific:
The new /etc/radvd.conf was:

Interface eth0
{
        AdvSendAdvert on;
				MaxRtrAdvInterval 30;
				prefix 2004:db8:0:1::/64
				{
        	                       AdvOnLink on;
                                       AdvAutonomous on;

					AdvValidLifetime 180;
					AdvPreferredLifetime 100;

				};
				prefix 2005:db8:0:1::/64
				{
        	                        AdvOnLink on;
                                        AdvAutonomous on;

					AdvValidLifetime 3000;
					AdvPreferredLifetime 2000;

				};

};

and after restatring it,I ran on the host:

ip -6 addr
1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 16436
    inet6 ::1/128 scope host
       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
2: eth0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qlen 1000
    inet6 2005:db8:0:1:230:48ff:fe61:e5e0/64 scope global dynamic
       valid_lft 2994sec preferred_lft 1994sec
    inet6 2004:db8:0:1:230:48ff:fe61:e5e0/64 scope global dynamic
       valid_lft 2922sec preferred_lft 1922sec
    inet6 fe80::230:48ff:fe61:e5e0/64 scope link
       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever

As you can see, the valid_lft is 2922sec (I expected it to be lower than
AdvValidLifetime 180, which was the new value I put for this prefix in
/etc/radvd.conf). Also the preferred time was not changed to be low than 100.

Any ideas?
DS