[radvd-devel-l] Cahnging Valid Lifetime/ Preferred Lifetime of a stateless configured address with radvd - is it possible ?

Pekka Savola pekkas at netcore.fi
Mon Mar 31 05:04:08 EDT 2008

On Mon, 31 Mar 2008, David Shwatrz wrote:
> And when I started it, hosts were configured with 2004:db8:0:1:: prefix
> and with valid time of 3000 seconds.
>
> Now, I lowered the AdvValidLifetime to 180 seconds and
> AdvPreferredLifetime to 100 added a second
> prefix (with 3000 for AdvPreferredLifetime and 2000 to AdvPreferredLifetime
> ) and restarted the radvd service.
> The hosts got the new prefix but the valid and preferred lifetime of the
> formere ip address were as before.
> Changing the AdvValidLifetime and AdvPreferredLifetime did not changed the
> corresponfing fields.

Clients are required to ignore decreasing address lifetimes below two
hours as a security measure.  Check out RFC 4862 Section 5.5.3 e). I
guess our man page point that out..

Note that the renumbering talk you quoted did not say renumbering is
instantaneous.  In practise you'll need to run both prefixes at the
same time for a while when you renumber.  RFC 4192 may be interesting
reading if you think about renumbering.