[radvd-devel-l] Questions on radvd codes.

Jong-Hyouk Lee jonghyouk at gmail.com
Thu Sep 24 05:05:00 EDT 2009

Hi, Pekka.

On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 10:57 AM, Pekka Savola <pekkas at netcore.fi> wrote:

> These are pretty basic questions but hopefully this gets you started.
>
> On Thu, 24 Sep 2009, Jong-Hyouk Lee wrote:
>
>> 1. Where is codes used to update (modify) the routing information when RA
>> messages arrived? Is it done by Linux kernel?
>> So, radvd doesn't have such functions? I couldn't find out.
>>

> The RAs received by clients (for address autoconfiguration etc.) is handled
> by the kernel or such.
>
> Radvd also sees these RAs but only checks them for consistency in
> process.c:process_ra()

OK. Thanks. Because I'm going to modify (extend) radvd to have
functionalities that can update (modify) the routing information of the node
based on the received RA messages, I asked such things.

>  2. Radvd is used to send RA messages periodically even if there is no RS
>> messages sent from neighbors. I just wanted to
>> see the codes related to it (i.e., sending unsolicited RA messages
>> periodically to neighbors in a broadcast manner). As
>> I know, when radvd starts, it firsts sends RA messages by executing
>> kickof_adverts(). Then, it goes into the loop
>> (i.e., for(; ;)). Which places in the codes shall I look? I just want to
>> see the related codes for sending unsolicited
>> RA messages periodically to neighbors.
>>

> As you say, kickoff_adverts() is the critical piece where a timer is
> scheduled for periodic RA.  When the timers expire, it's
> radvd.c:timer_handler() which gets called and the actual RA is sent using
> send_ra_forall().

Ummm, thanks for your indications. I should check it.

Many thanks.

> --

IMARA Team, INRIA, France.
Jong-Hyouk Lee.

#email: jonghyouk (at) gmail (dot) com || jong-hyouk.lee (at) inria (dot) fr
#webpage: http://hurryon.googlepages.com/