[radvd-devel-l] Multiple radvds in a local network

Sergei Zhirikov sfzhi at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 19 12:14:18 EDT 2011

Hi,

Router advertisements are meant for hosts for stateless auto-configuration (i.e. for IP address assignment). They are not meant for other routers. They are not meant to distribute routing information. Router advertisement is not a routing protocol (it's router, not routing advertisement) and radvd is not a routing daemon.

Basically, there is no relationship between router advertisements and local routing tables. You can often see hosts adjusting local routing tables, but that happens as a result of IP address assignment, and not as a direct consequence of receiving router advertisement.

If you want routing tables to be updated then you need to use a "real" routing protocol and a real routing daemon (which, as I mentioned, radvd is not).

--
Sergei.