[radvd-devel-l] poor man's routing daemon (was: Multiple radvds in a local network)

Sergei Zhirikov sfzhi at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 20 13:37:18 EDT 2011

--- On Sat, 8/20/11, Lukasz Stelmach <stlman at poczta.fm> wrote:

> But... is there any way to control radvd depending on uplink
> availability?
As far as radvd is concerned, there is no such thing as "uplink". There is local network and prefixes to be advertised in it.
Although, radvd does have a "bonus" feature that allows to change the advertised prefixes dynamically in case of 6to4 tunnels, which may or may not be useful to you (you didn't mention what kind of tunnels you are using).

> I've got two networks each with a single IPv6 uplink
> tunnel and I would like radvd to stop sending advertisments (or start
> sending ones with zero times) when the tunnels stop working.
If you really want that you could rewrite the radvd configuration file when necessary. But don't forget that advertising zero lifetimes will not reset the lifetimes advertised in the past (unless the advertisements are authenticated).

> It's definitely routing daemon's job
It's definitely not. Routing daemon couldn't care less about advertising prefixes. The two things it cares about are talking to fellow routers and updating local routing tables.

> but in setups like these radvd is a de facto poor man's routing daemon.
I can't imagine how one could use radvd instead of a routing daemon. They perform different functions, use different protocols, they have basically nothing in common.
May be I'm missing something here, could you please elaborate?

--
Sergei.