[radvd-devel-l] Saving logs for radvd

Joan aseques at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 08:02:40 EST 2011

> In short, no.  It's not possible with radvd.
>
> Longer answer...  It's the hosts' responsibility to configure its own
> addresses.  Radvd is only sending the hosts the network prefix.  Some hosts
> will contact radvd through the all routers multicast address, but even so,
> the source address of the solicitation may be empty.  Additionally, hosts
> don't have to contact radvd at all.  A host can wait for a periodic
> broadcast from radvd then autoconfigure from there without ever contacting
> radvd.  Also, the host does not communicate back to radvd which addresses it
> selected.  Generally the host portion of the IPv6 address (the lower 64
> bits) are derived from the mac address, but this isn't required...
>
> DHCPv6 may be able to do exactly what you want, but that would be for
> another mailing list...
Ok, so it depends on stateless ipv6 provisioning, it makes sense ...
Prior of using radvd I was trying to setup a dhcpv6 server, the
problem it that while almost all the devices have slaac suport, most
of them doesn't have a proper dhcpv6 client.

Well, it seems that either I have to use some logic in my routers to
register the ips on my LAN or try to find the appropiate dhcpv6 client
for the devices trying to use our network.

Thank you very much for your help