[radvd-devel-l] Replies to Router Solicitation

Panagiotis Georgopoulos panos at comp.lancs.ac.uk
Mon Feb 21 12:39:41 EST 2011

From: radvd-devel-l-bounces at litech.org [mailto:radvd-devel-l-bounces at litech.org] On Behalf Of Reuben Hawkins
Sent: 21 February 2011 16:53
To: radvd Development Discussion
Subject: Re: [radvd-devel-l] Replies to Router Solicitation

On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 7:45 AM, Panagiotis Georgopoulos <panos at comp.lancs.ac.uk> wrote:

Hello all,

                I am running radvd v. 1.7 and I am wondering about its replies to Router Solicitation messages. Am I right in thinking that radvd should respond to any Router Solicitation messages that it sees? Does it respond instantaneously or with a certain delay?

                Thanks a lot in advance,

                Panos

-----

Hi Panos,

RADVD does not send a response to every solicitation and there is a random delay (between 0 and 1/2 seconds I think).  The random delay is called for in RFC 2461 (http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2461.html).  It's not really that important, but it cuts down on the number of broadcast advertisements needed.

RADVD should NOT respond to every solicitation it sees (we don't want to flood the network with useless advertisements).  However, if you're finding you don't get an address fast enough, then you may have a bug or configuration issue.

Thanks,
Reuben

Hello Reuben,

              Thanks for your reply, it is really helpful. Is there any flag that sets the maximum response delay to a solicitation ? How can we learn what is the maximum delay right now, so that I can identify whether I have a bug or a configuration issue.

              Also,  when you say does not respond to every solicitation it sees (understandably), what is the algorithm behind that? E.g. ignore RS if I have send an RA in less than 3 seconds?

              Thanks a lot in advance,

              Panos