[radvd-devel-l] searching the list / DDNS

Reuben Hawkins reubenhwk at gmail.com
Mon Feb 28 18:27:01 EST 2011

On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 3:13 PM, Jeff Sadowski <jeff.sadowski at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 3:52 PM, Reuben Hawkins <reubenhwk at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >

> > On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 10:19 AM, Jeff Sadowski <jeff.sadowski at gmail.com
> >
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> I didn't see a mailing list FAQ so I hope its ok to ask a simple
> question
> >> like
> >> How do I search the mailing list to find say DDNS
> >> would I run a google query for "site:lists.litech.org DDNS"
> >> this didn't find anything and I'd bet someone has asked how to do that
> >> before.
> >>
> >> If not that is my question can radvd do ddns(Dynamic DNS)
> >> I'd like that when a host gets a ipv6 address from my radvd pool to
> >> update my bind entries for that computer.
> >>
> >> --
> >

> > AFAIK, there's nothing like that in radvd.  However, this sound like a
> > problem solved by mDNS (multicast DNS, also called Bonjour by Apple).  On
> > Linux, avahi-daemon does this.  After installing you'll need to update
> your
> > /etc/nsswitch.conf with this line...
> >
> Ok thank you.
> Is there any place that radvd logs which computers pull what addresses
> like <this mac address> obtained <this ipv6 address>?

No.  It's not really possible with radvd.  Radvd's main purpose is to
advertise the network prefix(es).  A host can trigger radvd to send the
prefix, and radvd logs the link local address, but the host doesn't obtain
its address from radvd, only the network prefix(es).  The host creates its
own address, and verifies it's unique with DAD (Duplicate Address
Detection).  Radvd in unaware what address the host configured.

Additionally, a host can just wait for a periodic advertisement...  So a
host may receive the prefix info from radvd and autoconfigure without radvd
knowing about it.

DHCPv6 may do something like that (but that's a question for a different
mailing list)...