[radvd-devel-l] Removing the CHANGES file

Petr Pisar ppisar at redhat.com
Wed Jun 20 02:28:01 EDT 2012

On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 06:11:08PM -0700, Reuben Hawkins wrote:
> Is the CHANGES file really needed?  I guess it's useful in the tar.gz,
> but I'm tired of writing the same thing in three places (the GIT
> commit messages, the radvd web page and in the CHANGES file).

It's the only changelog available from tar ball. So the file should be
distributed in tar balls. Whether you write it manually or generate from git
log is up to you. However in my opinion the git log usually contains too
much developement stuff making the changelog not understandable for a user.

I think writing some summary into CHANGES before new release and pointing the
web page change list to git web interface is the best way. At least I do so in
my projects.

-- Petr