[radvd-devel-l] advertise dns server with dynamic ip

Erich Eckner radvd at eckner.net
Thu Feb 23 02:34:13 EST 2017

Hi,

I'm currently enabling IPv6 on my home network. On my router runs debian
with routing via ip(6)tables, bind9 and radvd. The remote ip and the
global prefixes for the local interfaces are received via dhcp6c from my
ISP and may not always be the same.

Now I've set up radvd to advertise routing and the prefixes on the local
interfaces via a "prefix ::/64" statement in /etc/radvd.conf. What I'd
like to do, is to announce the dns-server via a similar RDNSS statement
(e.g. "::1/64"). Is this possible somehow? Currently, I can only set a
fixed (the current) ip, but as I said before: This may change in the future.

I think, it won't be necessary for radvd to detect a change of the Ip
(although it would be nice), it would suffice (for me), if it can
determine the ip of some given interface - like it does with the
prefix-announcement.

regards,
Erich