[radvd-devel-l] advertise dns server with dynamic ip

Reuben Hawkins reubenhwk at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 09:03:41 EST 2017

It sounds like you should use Base6Interface.  It works like this...

If your eth0 is your upstream interface connected to your ISP and your eth1
is connected to the rest of your local network, you would config radvd like
so..

interface eth1 {
  prefix 0000:0000:0000:0001::/64 {
     Base6Interface eth0;
  };
};

Then your prefix will be combined with the address on eth1 and the combined
address will be advertised.  This assumed you get a /48 on eth0 from your
ISP.  If your /48 is 2001:db8:1234::/48, then the combined address for eth1
would be 2001:db8:1234:0001::/64.  If the address on eth0 changes, radvd
should detect this and do the right thing.

Your DNS address needs to be fixed.  Just use eth1 link local address
(fe80::something).  Your link local address should be fixed.  Also, use
mdns and just connect to all your local machine using the .local suffix
like so...

$ ssh user at remotehost.local

...Much easier using mdns.  No server to configure.