[radvd-devel-l] Should radvd apply for Google Summer of Code?

Robin H. Johnson robbat2 at gentoo.org
Sat Jan 30 00:47:15 EST 2021

To spark a discussion, the organization application period for the
Google Summer of Code is presently open.

1. Should radvd as an organization apply?
2. Who is willing to be mentors for students?
3. What are some specific development projects that a student might
   undertake?

The size estimation of a project should take into account that Google
has significantly altered the expected time commitment from students for
the coming year: it's now at 175 hours of work, to be spread over 10
weeks (whereas it was 350 hours previously).

I do have previous experience handling the administration side for the
Google Summer of Code, in multiple roles, including, but not limited to
mentoring, organization admin, and handling the payments (in my role as
the treasurer of the Gentoo Foundation).

How would radvd handle the organization portion of the payment? If
the GSoC mentor summit is going to be in person again, then it should go
primarily to that. Otherwise, I propose that the rest of the
organization portion of the payment is re-invested directly back into
the project. We may wish to engage a fiscal sponsor (SPI, Conservency,
???) for this purpose, but would be discussed later.

--
Robin Hugh Johnson
Gentoo Linux: Dev, Infra Lead, Foundation Treasurer
E-Mail   : robbat2 at gentoo.org
GnuPG FP : 11ACBA4F 4778E3F6 E4EDF38E B27B944E 34884E85
GnuPG FP : 7D0B3CEB E9B85B1F 825BCECF EE05E6F6 A48F6136