[spook-l] Progressive JPEG.

Ulrik Mikaelsson rawler at rsn.bth.se
Sat Nov 13 16:14:18 EST 2004

Saturdayen den 13 November 2004 21.46 skrev Nathan Lutchansky:
> On Sat, 13 Nov 2004, Ulrik Mikaelsson wrote:
> > I would like to know if there are some plans for supporting more
> > webbrowser-features in spook, such as possibly Progressive JPEG.
> Progressive JPEG?  It sounds like you're talking about pushing JPEGs in a
> multipart/x-mixed-replace stream, a la camserv.  The CVS tree contains
> support for both multipart streaming and MJPEG-over-RTP.
Well, I were talking of the little dirty-hack in the JPEG-encoding that is
supposed to render JPEG:s incrementally, with a first low-resoultion-variant,
on to more detailed levels, but can from what I've understodd be used to hack
video into beeing rendered into a regular web-browser?

> > A lot of camservers seems to support hacking in JPEG-frames in a motion
> > video through Progressive JPEG.
> Yes, and I found that method so distasteful that I wrote Spook.  :-)
Allright. ;) I agree, it's ugly, but nice for the dumb windows users. I still
haven't heard of any windows-user that have managed to view my xvid in
RTSP-stream from spook. :-/

> It's easy enough to create an HTML file on a usual webserver with the
> refresh header set in a meta tag.  I know several users are doing this.
> This gives you the flexibility to format the page and set up the refresh
> any way you like, instead of using something hard-coded into Spook.
I agree. This might be a useful thing to do for most users. But would it
really be difficult to create a simple HTML-template-engine in spook and
connect it to the existing webserver, just to offer the user an alternative
to installing Apache or some other external web-server?

> Thanks for the compliment!  And if you set up a public Spook server,
> please post about it here...  -Nathan
Sure thing. But currently I'm just using it to strip for various ladies on the
internet. But perhaps you want the URL anyways? ;)

Regards
/ Ulrik

--
I guess I've been wrong all my life, but so have billions of other people...
Certainty is just an emotion.