[spook-l] Progressive JPEG.

Jeff Bowden jlb at houseofdistraction.com
Mon Nov 15 13:36:42 EST 2004

Nathan Lutchansky wrote:

>>I've used camserv before. It does offer some neat features although it's
>>got an unecessarily long latency and the code is not so pretty.
>>

>Any neat features you like from camserv that should be in Spook?  -Nathan

The main neat feature is camserv-relay which supports the scenario where
the camera is on a relatively low-bandwidth connection but the web page
serving the image is on a high-bandwidth server.  It only pulls from the
camera when someone is watching and it fans out from the high-bandwidth
server so the machine with the camera only has to supply one connection
worth of bandwidth to support as many users as the high-bandwidth server
can dish out.

I have managed to provide equivalent functionality w/o the multi-part
jpegs using some apache cache hackery, but it still requires that images
be grabbed and saved to a file even when no one is watching.   It would
be ideal if there was a setup that worked like camserv-relay but without
the high-latency and flakiness -- I forgot to mention this in my
part of the chain is restarted it has to be manually massaged back into
a working state.  Maybe they've fixed it by now but when I tried to dive
into the code to fix it myself it seemed to me like it needed a rewrite.