[radvd-devel-l] radvd not starting with different logmethod than default

Reuben Hawkins reubenhwk at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 01:34:48 EST 2012

On Mon, Jan 2, 2012 at 8:35 AM, Reuben Hawkins <reubenhwk at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 2, 2012 at 8:29 AM, Pekka Savola <pekkas at netcore.fi> wrote:
>> On Mon, 2 Jan 2012, Reuben Hawkins wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm not convinced that's accurate.  In the code privsep_init and
>>> drop_root_privileges appear to be completely independent, although the
>>> intent is for them to be used together (from what I gather).
>>>
>>> Without dropping root privileges, we can still call privsep_init, fork
>>> a new process, communicate over a pipe, call into privsep_interface_*,
>>> etc.  Can you verify privsep and drop_root_priv are independent?
>>>
>>> Since that's a lot of fairly simple code, it makes since to just
>>> enable it all the time for simpler and more complete testing.
>>

>> Sorry, I didn't read carefully enough, and I mixed these up. I can't check
>> it at the moment, but you may be right.
>>
>> Pekka
>>

>> --
>

> I pushed a branch up to git with some initial changes...
>
> https://github.com/reubenhwk/radvd/commits/privsep
>
> Some other things which should be done (I'll get to them in the next few weeks):
> * remove the file privsep-bsd44.c.  It seems completely useless at this point.
> * test/fix the initial bug report which spawned this email thread.

Hi Niklas,

I pushed a patch to the privsep branch in git which fixes the problem
you reported.  Please verify it's fixed.

I'm not sure about the code I removed to make it work.  I removed code
which was closing and reopening the log.  This was somehow breaking
privsep.

Does anybody know why the close/reopen was in there?

Thanks in advance,
Reuben