[radvd-devel-l] radvd licensing history investigation, and future licensing directions

Pekka Savola pekkas at netcore.fi
Thu Feb 4 09:04:54 EST 2021

Hello,

When I was a maintainer I brought up (over 10 years ago) the issue of
swiching to a more simplified license with previous authors (listed in
source code copyright clauses). I don't recall the details, but I
believe did not receive responses from all of them or the response
might have been at least partially negative, ie. they did not see a
need for change (although I myself did).

I did not pursue the issue further, because doing so might have
required identifying and reimplementing those parts of the code that
were contributed under the original license and the contributor did
not consent to relicensing it under a different license. This would
have potentially been a big task for modest gains.

You're of course welcome to try again. I have personally no objection
to relicensing my very modest contributions under a different license.

Pekka