[spook-l] Using spook with an hardware encoder

Nathan Lutchansky lutchann at litech.org
Wed Nov 29 22:48:13 EST 2006

On Wed, 2006-11-29 at 12:38 +0100, Marco Buffa wrote:
> On 11/29/06, Nathan Lutchansky <lutchann at litech.org> wrote:
> > Which driver are you using?  For that matter, whose board design are you
> > using?
> The board and the driver (v4l, not v4l2) are self-made: we are
> building a two-channel linux-based mpeg4 videocamera. The CPU is an
> Intel IXP425 and the compressors are two wischip go7007 on the
> expansion bus.

Wow, writing your own V4L driver for the GO7007 is really impressive,
especially without a programming guide for the firmware!  Are you using
the HPI interface or the USB1.1 device mode?

> I suspect I need a v4l2 driver to handle MPEG4 ES with spook, it's correct?

V4L2 would be a more "standard" way to provide this interface, which is
what is implemented in the open-source GO7007 Linux driver.  There is
not really a standard API for using hardware video compression with V4L,
although since the driver is your design it shouldn't be difficult to
modify Spook to work with whatever API you've created.  -Nathan